Because of the hit Korean singer PSY from Ganges Style, the world ruled looking for everything Korean, primarily for their food. Wherever they exist, Korean restaurants are packed. Commonly ordered dish is the bibimbap (rice and vegetables), which it is served with kimichi (Korean ketchup).
Bibimbap simply you can translate to “mixed rice with meat and assorted vegetables“.
More traditional and authentic versions of Bibimbap are served with raw beef and raw egg yolk along with other vegetables but some prefer making it with cooked ingredients.
- Ingredients for 3 to 4 servings (Prep time: 35 mins, Cooking time: 55 mins )
- 100g (3.5 ounces) beef mince
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp sugar – I used brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp minced garlic
- Vegetables and other
- 250g (0.6 pounds) mildly seasoned spinach
- 350g (0.8 pounds) mildly seasoned bean sprouts– (You don’t have to use them up if you think it’s too much but some love having lots of vegetables on their Bibimbap!)
- 100g (3.5 ounces) shiitake mushroom
- 120g (4.2 ounces) carrots (1 small)
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt (1/4 tsp each will be used when cooking shiitake mushroom and carrots)
- 3 to 4 serving portions of steamed rice
- 3 or 4 eggs (depending on the serving portion)
- Some cooking oil to cook the meat, mushroom, carrots and eggs – I used rice bran oil.
- Korean seasoned seaweed, shredded (long thin cut)
- Bibimbap sauce – The below sauce might be only enough for 3 servings if you like eating it spicy.
- 2 Tbsp gochujang
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- 1 Tbsp sugar – I used raw sugar
- 1 Tbsp water
- 1 Tbsp roasted sesame seeds
- 1 tsp vinegar – I used apple vinegar
- 1 tsp minced garlic
For meat, mix the beef mince with the meat sauce listed above. Marinate the meat for about 30 mins while you are working on other ingredients to enhance the flavour. Add some cooking oil into a wok and cook the meat on medium high to high heat. It takes about 3 to 5 mins to thoroughly cook it. Then you can mix the Bibimbap sauce ingredients in a bowl. Spinach and bean sprouts per linked recipe. Rinse, peel and julienne the carrots. Add some cooking oil and 1/4 tsp of fine sea salt in a wok and cook the carrots on medium high to high heat for 2 to 3 mins.
Clean the shiitake mushrooms and thinly slice them. Add some cooking oil and 1/4 tsp of fine sea salt in a wok and cook the mushrooms on medium high to high heat until they are all cooked. (It takes 2 to 3 mins.)
Make fried eggs. (While sunny side up is common, you can make them per your preference.)
- Put the rice into a bowl and add the meat, assorted vegetables, seasoned seaweed, Bibimbap sauce and the egg on top of the rice. Serve it.
- Mix the ingredients well in the bowl and you can enjoy!