Maybe this is the perfect solution for you to have esspreso and a cup of cake in just one cup. Enjoy the day with this tasty Chocolate Espresso Soufflés
for 2 servings
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 80 g (½ cup) chocolate, melted
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon icing sugar
- 1 egg white
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- butter, softened, for greasing
- cocoa powder, for dusting
- Line 2 espresso cups or 2 small ramekins with softened butter followed by cocoa powder. Ensure all sides are coated with the cocoa as this will stabilise the sides of the soufflé when it rises.
- In a large bowl, stir together the melted butter and melted chocolate until fully combined and smooth.
- Stir in the espresso powder, followed by the water. Stir in the egg yolk. Add in icing sugar. Stir until combined and smooth.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg white until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add the caster sugar and whisk until stiff peaks form and they become glossy.
- Fold 2 tablespoons of the whipped egg whites into the chocolate mixture and fold until fully incorporated. Gradually fold in the remaining whipped egg whites. Be careful not to over stir, as this will knock the air out, which will stop the soufflé from rising to its full potential!
- Quickly pour the mixture into the prepared espresso cups or ramekins.
- Using a knife, carefully pull across the top of each soufflé so that the top is completely flat.
- Neaten the edges of the cups by running your thumb around the rim of the cup. This will help the soufflé to rise straight.
- Chill the soufflés in the fridge for 30 minutes (optional) and then preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F).
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Dust with a little cocoa powder and serve immediately.